Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Soda, Pop, Bubblers, and Drinking Fountains

After living in Minnesota for 2 years for school, I can no longer use the terms "soda" and "bubbler" comfortably in natural flow of conversation, even when I am back home in Southeastern Wisconsin. A few times up at school I slipped up and said "bubbler" to other people, and have gotten blank stares or people asking "what?" and I'll just say "oops, I mean a drinking fountain" (which is totally lame thing to call it I might add). I purposefully still say soda all the time no matter where I am, but it never comes out naturally like it used to, I now always simultaneous think soda/pop, and am used to hearing the term "pop" all the time. However, I'm now finding it more universal to instead specifically say "pepsi", "coke", "fanta", "sierra mist" etc, instead of saying soda or pop at all.

2 remarks:

Robert James said...

I like the randomness

Heidi Rose said...

Very interesting. I too enjoy the randomness.