Sunday, July 5, 2009

What says 'Thank You' better than a homemade pie?

I'm usually not a dessert type of person, but I've been trying my hand at cooking lately, and since everyone else has been making strawberry rhubarb pies, I thought I'd try something different! The thought of chocolate pie seemed somewhat bizarre to me since I had never had it before, but I went ahead and found a recipe for Chocolate Chess pie, it looked simple and promising so I gave it a go.


Whipped cream and strawberries were my own addition, since I thought the pie needed something extra.
I made 2 pies the first time, one for my family to test out to make sure it was edible before giving the other pie to a friend. Reactions were favorable:


plate-lickin' good!
I also made 2 more pies this weekend for the 4th of July, one for the family and one as a house-warming gift for my brother, whose family just bought a new house & have been painting it like crazy all weekend! The only set-back of being the pie-maker is that you know exactly what went in it... each delectable bite will remind you of the 1 1/2 cups of sugar & half stick of butter, etc. ;)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 eggs
1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).Mix sugar and cocoa together. Beat the eggs then add to the cocoa mixture. Beat in the milk, butter and vanilla.Pour mixture into 9 inch unbaked pie shell and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes or until set. Let cool before slicing.

3 remarks:

Robert James said...

Make pies and sell them!!!!

Katie Marie said...

Dude... make me one for next time I come home!

Also... when we comment on your posts, why does it always pop up in a separate window? Weird.

Amy Lauren said...

because I didn't like the other way, so I put it on the setting for comments to pop out instead ;)